From Corpus Christi, Texas, USA:

My niece is 3 years old and they live in Tennessee and will be leaving for Haiti in about a month. She was diagnosed 4 months ago and it must be a Type 1 as she is not overweight at all and is always tired and run down. Her parents have been talking to some doctor in California but have never met him. They have tried controlling her diabetes with regulating her intake and exercise but her blood sugar has been over 400 several times since the first time. I am very concerned about this as diabetes runs in both sides of my family including myself but I have the Type 2 adult onset. My niece just went into the hospital and thank goodness she is now on insulin!

My question is this: Her parents have been limiting what she can eat and how much and when. Isn't it bad for a diabetic to go hungry? I am not talking about any overweight child or overeater but she in my opinion is underweight! Is there any publication on this to give them so I can show them she needs regular meals and snacks and not just night time snacks? Please help as I am very concerned about her health.

There is a great book called Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace by Betty Brackenridge and Richard Rubin. It is available through or the American Diabetes Association at 1-800-ADA-ORDER. The book explains how you can allow the child to have a normal, balanced diet without compromising good control and without causing the child to feel deprived. It is easy to read and understand and would make a wonderful gift.