Question:

From Petersburg, Alaska, USA:

At age 30, during my 5th pregnancy, at 6 months, I developed Gestational Diabetes. I was started with 3 shots per day, 90 units. After a healthy delivery, I remained diabetic, diet and exercise controlled, kept good control as long as I was careful. I had to be strict or I hit high blood sugars (200-300's). Three years ago I had tremendous stress, lost my mother, blood sugar numbers couldn't keep in control. Much to my dismay, I had to start oral agent, now using 500 mg Glucophage [a pill for Type 2 diabetes] twice daily. With careful diet and exercise I keep good control. Am 40 years old now, l38 pounds, 5 feet 3 inches.

I keep thinking if I lose more weight maybe I don't need the oral agent. I walk, swim, use a weight machine. I was told I was type 2, but a report in Diabetes, Sept 97 issue, Vol-46 #9 seems to say Gestational Diabetes was type 1. I'm confused how to define where I fit in. I have not met any one with my similar circumstance.

Now, no matter how good I take care of myself, will it just progressively get worse? Can you give me direction to figure out if I'm Type 1 or 2 type?

Answer:

At the present time I think that what is important for you is to maintain the best possible control of your blood sugars by minimizing stress, taking vigorous exercise, watching your diet and of course by using all the latest permutations of intensive insulin regimens. I am sure that your diabetic team are working with you on all of this, and the reason I mention them is that 'control' is more important than the specific genetic pattern of diabetes that you have.

At the moment studies are proceeding rather slowly with the task categorizing the various forms of Type 2 Diabetes and the laboratories that can do it are few and far between, and none, I believe are in Alaska. What you can do though, and it almost amounts to the same thing is to find out whether or not you have autoimmune or Type 1 diabetes by arranging for an antibody test.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes