From Dallas, Texas, USA:

I have a 5 year old son who is always thirsty and has to use the restroom to the extreme that his kindergarten teacher has called me with concern. He is unusually tired and seems to have a rash on his body. His skin seems really dry (although it is the middle of winter). He wets the bed every night. I don't know if I should take him to see a doctor, or is this just normal for a 5 year old boy that is very active? Our family has no history of diabetes (that I know of). Is he at risk of having diabetes? Are there any other symptoms I should look for?

You should have your son's urine checked once for sugar and ketones and his blood for the level of blood sugar. If these are normal, there is no reason to suspect diabetes. If symptoms persist, I would advise you to ask your pediatrician for more help.