From Texas, USA:

My 27 month old granddaughter was diagnosed with Type 1 at the age of 13 months. I have been frightened lately about diabetes life expectancy. She continues to have her highs and lows and constantly adjusting insulin. I am worrying about what length and quality of life are we looking at. I know the better we take care of her the better it will be, but I just wondered if they are given just so much that can be done for a diabetic?

With good control, your daughter should have a normal life expectancy. As you noted, the risk of complications diminishes significantly with good control.

There seem to be new things developing to make treatment easier quite often these days and maybe we'll even see a cure in her lifetime. Log on to the parents chat room at this site to share your thoughts with other parents.