Question:

From St. Louis, Missouri, Missouri:

My bestfriend's son was diagnosed with diabetes just recently. I am unsure as to what level he is considered to be at. He was hospitalized in the ICU for 7 days. He couldn't remember anything about where he was or who anyone was. My bestfriend does not have Internet access. I was wondering if you could recommend any literature that would be beneficial to her. Also, what can I do to help her out? I noticed a St. Louis Chapter and will be giving her that address and phone number.

Answer:

Your plan to contact local organizations sounds great. Also check that your friend's child is being followed by a pediatric diabetes team. You can also contact the American Association of Diabetes Educators (1-800-TEAMUP4) for names of nearby diabetes educators.

The support, love, and listening you can give your friend at this time is invaluable.

LM

[Editor's comment: You will also find a list of brochures, books for kids and books for parents that might be helpful. JSH]