Question:

I have a 7 year old child, insulin dependent. I want to know information about:

1. The best food that doesn't raise the blood sugar, for children.
  2. What sugar can I use for baking cake, or frosting: I tried Equal and the others but they don't work well.

Answer:

In general, protein foods do not affect the blood sugar except to keep it from going very low. It is important, however, that children have a good variety of foods including those that do affect the blood sugar. A combination of starches, grains, meats and fats should be included in the diet. If you are looking for foods to use when your child is still hungry after having eaten all the recommended foods, then protein foods and vegetables (not starchy) will do the trick.

As for sugars to use in baking: you may want to try Sweet One or Sugar Twin. Many people prefer to use less sugar in the recipe than is called for or substitute a fruit such as applesauce for up to half of the sugar. The flour and some other ingredients such as milk will also contribute "sugar" in the form of carbohydrate to the product. I would suggest you contact the American Diabetes Association for cookbooks regarding how to include sweets in your child's diet.

JM