Question:

From Glendale, California, USA:

My son is 4 and very recently diagnosed as hypoglycemic. Five hour glucose tolerance test levels ranged from 84 (fasting) to a low of 50 (3 hours). He has been shaking, getting pale, sweating, and gets to the point of not being able to cooperate. He also has a number of other disorders such as Common Variable Immunodeficiency, Seizure Disorder (non-hypoglycemic), gastrointestinal disorders and arthralgia, among others. The question is, we are having real trouble telling hypoglycemic episodes from the multitude of other symptoms he has. Any ideas?

Answer:

I don't envy you your problems but the simple fact is that you often can't distinguish hypo symptoms from others without actually checking blood sugar. Has your clinic provided you with a meter for testing - if not then ask. Usually, with practice, you get better at it but you don't say how well your son communicates his symptoms and this is a major factor - even the most vocal 4 year olds find this a tricky business and the astute ones don't waste time in learning that pretending to be low may bring benefits!