Question:

From Buffalo, New York, USA:

I have a 10 year old female with Type 1 diabetes for 4 years, 2 months. She takes a lot of insulin: 8R and 25NPH in the A.M., and 6R and 18NPH in the P.M. While she isn't very active, I think this is still to much. Her A1cs are not good (7.8, 9.5). Is there a possibility she has resistance to NPH?

Answer:

In children, insulin resistance is defined as requiring over 2 units/kg a day of insulin (approximately 1/2 unit per pound). Unable to achieve normal hemoglobin A1C does not mean the child is insulin resistant. If you feel your child is not achieving adequate control, you should be working with a team consisting of a pediatric endocrinologist, dietitian, nurse educator, and psychologist or social worker. As children get closer to puberty, their insulin and food requirements go up and their insulin treatment plans and diets often need to be reassessed and radically changed.