Question:

From Washington, DC, USA

I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes two years ago. I am 27 years old. I've read that before becoming pregnant, women with diabetes should be on insulin therapy for at least 6 months. At a recent visit with my doctor, however, he stated that since my diabetes was under good control, he planned on simply taking me off metformin. One hour after eating, my blood sugar still is high, over 200. It doesn't come down into the normal range for another hour or two. Won't blood sugars this high harm a fetus, and won't they climb higher if I'm taken off metformin and not started on insulin therapy?

Answer:

Your postprandial blood sugar is much too high. If you are planning on becoming pregnant your blood sugars should be near normal (fasting 60-90 mg/dl, 1 hour postprandial less than 130-140 mg/dl). If this occurs for at least a month prior to conception, that would be fine.

What is critical is the blood glucose control at the time of conception and for the first 10 weeks of pregnancy when all the organ systems of the embryo are developing.

The bottom line is that I would recommend that you start insulin for better glucose control.

Posted to Family Planning