Question:

From Richmond, Virginia, USA:

Everyone seems so knowledgeable, I feel so stupid. Is it just me that feels this is all so hard? I haven't been able to get a handle on my diabetes. Where do I begin?

Answer:

Diabetes is not easy to learn for anyone. You may think that others are really smart, but perhaps they have had more time to get used to diabetes. You did not say how old you are or when you were diagnosed. Sometimes these factors make a difference in "knowing" so much about diabetes.

I would encourage you to get involved with a local group of folks your age who have diabetes. Nothing teaches us better than talking to others who have the same experience. There are no dumb questions either: everyone has to start somewhere. When I first started working with people who had diabetes, I knew nothing. Now, after thousands of patients, I have learned so much from their stories.

Also, see if there is a local treatment team which has a counselor to help out with adjustment issues surrounding diabetes.

Finally, I will tell you that diabetes is hard, but it is able to be understood with some time and patience. You can do it! Let us know how you are doing.

CMB