Question:

From California, USA:

Is Weight Watchers a good diet for a diabetic? I take two shots of insulin, 30 units in the A.M. and 20 in the P.M. I am a type 2. I am 68 years old. I need to lose about 50 pounds.

Answer:

Weight Watchers provides one with good nutrition guidelines and the focus is on changing one's lifestyle -- both of those are key factors in losing weight and managing diabetes. You need to share your plans for joining with your health care team to be sure they are in agreement as well.

JM

Additional comments from Dr. Lebinger:

I usually advise patients on insulin to be careful with the Weight Watchers program. Their diets are well balanced and use a system similar to the "Exchange System" of the American Diabetes Program. The main problem is that the Weight Watchers Program usually involves changing the diet as the individual loses weight. These frequent changes in diet often require frequent changes in insulin dose. Before you sign up, you should discuss your plans with your own physician.