Question:

From Ronkonkoma, New York, USA:

My daughter (age 8) has Type 1. We carry glucagon in case of hypoglycemia. My father, who is not diabetic, has bouts of hypoglycemia. I was wondering, in case of an emergency situation, would glucagon would work on a non-diabetic experiencing hypoglycemia?

Answer:

You don't mention if your father just has the symptoms of a falling blood sugar (hunger, shakiness, moodiness, sweating) or if he really has severe documented low blood sugar that causes loss of consciousness or seizures.

The first, most common problem in adults does not need to be treated with glucagon. In fact, glucagon given to non-diabetic individuals can cause vomiting, and occasionally a few hours later symptoms of low or falling blood sugars due to a surge in insulin after glucagon.

If your father has severe low blood sugars causing him to pass out or have a seizure, a complete metabolic workup is indicated to find both the cause and determine the best way to prevent or treat these low blood sugars.