My son is 2.5 years and I am concerned about his health. Last year he underwent surgery for a bladder condition and needs to be tested for UTI [urinary tract infection] infection every 6 months. Recently he has been very irritable, waking up at night crying, has been urinating frequently in very large volumes. He is always thirsty it seems and drinks several glasses of liquids a day. He has been complaining of back pain and pain in his toes. At least if I am understanding him correctly. My questions are:

• Does this sound like diabetes? He is going to see his doctor today. They checked his urine 2 weeks ago for a UTI and it came back negative.
  • What types of tests should I ensure that they perform?
  • What are some other signs I should be looking out for?

It is highly likely that your son is having urinary tract symptoms rather than those of diabetes but it is a very simple matter to check his urine for sugar - speak to his doctor about your concerns.