Question:

From Omaha, Nebraska, USA:

My wife's blood sugar spikes from like 57 to 345 in a short period of time and I am concerned about it. Do you have any thoughts on why this happens or what we can do about it? What are the possible problems that may happen with this spiking?

Answer:

Blood glucose levels can fluctuate drastically for many reasons in the person with diabetes. I think it helps to remember that food is not the only thing that makes sugars go up and insulin is not the only thing that makes sugar go down. Many hormones in the body elevate blood glucose levels, stressful situations, and if she injects insulin, variability in the absorption of the insulin can effect blood sugars. Many times when a person has a low blood glucose level (hypoglycemia, insulin reaction) it is such a bad feeling that you want to "eat your way to feeling better". This causes big spikes in blood sugars, plus many times the body releases hormones in response to hypoglycemia, which compounds this spike. For this reason, proper treatment of hypoglycemia in the person with diabetes is important.

JW

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA and Hypoglycemia