From Lafayette, Indiana, USA:

My 8 year old son has Type 1 diabetes and takes 2 shots a day. He's had this now for the approximately past 3 years and he definitely doesn't like the 'nasty' needle as he calls it. Unfortunately, he won't let me give him a shot anywhere other than on his buttocks and therefore there is an obvious limitation imposed on available injection sites. Do you know if they are going to come out with a new and improved needleless Auto Injector for kids within the near future? I wouldn't want to buy an existing model on the market if new and significantly better ones will soon be released. Any advice you can offer me would be most appreciated.

As far as I know, the needleless injectors don't live up to their claims. Try using the Inject-Ease or Emla cream. It also might not hurt to have your child work with a psychologist.

[Editor's comment: If it helps, a recent ADA study demonstrated that it is safe to inject through clothing. Injecting through your son's pants might make the whole injection experience less traumatic. JSH]