From Fulton, Kentucky, USA:

Where is the best place to get comprehensive treatment for complications due to diabetes? My friend is a 36 year old male who has had diabetes (Type I) since he was 13. He is now having heart, kidney and eye problems. He just got out of the hospital from his third heart surgery. He is also having complications with his eyes and some kidney function loss. Please don't tell me to ask my doctor or his, as neither specializes in comprehensive approach to treating diabetes. I would also like to know the closest specialized treatment center in my area as well as the best anywhere.

If your friend is interested in seeking other care, he could contact the closest diabetes center. A good endocrinologist or primary care team would be able to coordinate the myriad of specialists needed for your friend. The American Association of Diabetes Educators [at 1-800-TEAMUP4] can give you names of diabetes educators that might be able to direct him to an appropriate source.