From Palm Harbor, Florida, USA:

My 5 year old daughter, diagnosed 14 months ago, gets 10 units N before breakfast and 3 units N before dinner. Her blood sugars are typically 50 A.M., 350 P.M., and 300 at bedtime. Her last Alc was 8.2 and her three previous were under 6.5. I was upset with the last one. I feel our endocrinologist is reluctant to start her on R or Humalog. Is this usual with a five year old to be on just N? I do not want another 8.2 but am afraid to start another kind of insulin. What is your take on this?

The main principle of diabetes management in very young children is to achieve reasonable blood sugar control but not at the expense of frequent or severe hypoglycaemia. This, of course, is easier said than done because of variable food intake, exercise levels, etc., not to mention the problems that youngsters have in identifying hypo symptoms. Because of this variability and my lack of knowledge of your daughter's situation, it would be inappropriate of me to offer specific dose/regimen advice. You should discuss your fears fully with your diabetes team to establish why (and if) they are reluctant to change her regimen. Furthermore, you should not worry about the odd high HbA1c - it is the long term that matters.