From Australia:

Have there been any cases of children being diagnosed with diabetes and then not requiring insulin again (i.e., having an indefinite honeymoon period)? I realise that like most diabetics, my son is probably just going through a honeymoon period, but I was just wondering if there were any cases out there where it is more than just a honeymoon.

I've seen children with transient elevations of blood sugar lasting less than 48 hours, without weight loss and classical symptoms, not go on to develop diabetes. I've also seen the honeymoon phase last as long as 3 years.

I have never seen a child with classical symptoms (weight loss, excessive urination, thirst) have a "permanent" honeymoon and not require insulin.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Honeymoon