Question:

From New York, USA:

I'm going to Fun Zone with my Hebrew school. I'm afraid to give myself insulin shots. What should I do?

Answer:

I'm not sure if you mean you are afraid to actually give yourself an injection or if you are embarrassed to give yourself an injection in front of the other kids.

If you are afraid to give yourself an injection, you could practice giving yourself an injection using an Inject-Ease injection aid which will inject the needle into the skin for you when you press a button, similar to a blood lancing device.

If you are embarrassed to give an injection in front of the other kids, I would have your parents speak to one of the teachers at the Hebrew School to see if they could ask someone at the Fun Zone if there is a private room where you could go for a few minutes to test your blood sugar and give your insulin privately. Most importantly, don't skip your insulin because you are embarrassed.

[Editor's comment: A recent study by the American Diabetes Association demonstrated that it is safe to inject insulin through clothing. This might make it easier for you to inject in public. JSH]