From Delaware, USA:

My daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes nine years ago at age 12. Six years ago, she was diagnosed with gastroparesis and she became what the doctors termed as a "brittle" diabetic - hospitalized frequently with blood sugars over 1000 at times. She had great difficulty eating and thus controlling her blood sugars. She died about a year ago.

I am interested in information and information sources about gastroparesis and as much information as I can find regarding the emotional difficulties of adolescents with Type 1 diabetes. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear about your daughter and her story reminds me very much of a rather older girl that I looked after many years ago. Nowadays, of course, the term 'brittle' diabetes would not be accepted and with the current emphasis on good control and education from the start the outcome might have been different.

There is of course an enormous amount of information on gastroparesis, which is not always secondary to a diabetic neuropathy. Depending on how ready you are for some rather technical reading you might first of all see if the librarian in your nearest medical library will help you to find these review articles:

• Jour.Int.Med 273:403,1995;
  • Diabetalogia 37:543,1994; and
  • Diabetic Medicine 13/9(suppl 5):816,1996.

If you are looking for even more detail you might explore the issue at PubMed.

As to emotional disorders, these are not specific to diabetes and what I would suggest is that you talk to the Medical Social Worker or the Clinical Psychologist in the Diabetic Team that looked after your daughter and see if they would suggest some general reading in the field of emotional disorders in the teen years. If they remembered your daughter they might be able to select themes that would be of special value to you.