From the USA:

I have had diabetes for 15 years now; I am 21 years old. My family has always been very supportive and helpful. For years now I have been dealing with insulin-induced lipoatrophy. I have it on both my legs, and buttocks. I am very self conscious, so I hate wearing shorts and bathing suits. How can a reverse this? Is plastic surgery part of the answer? Lipo injections? When I confronted my endocrinologist with my "dents," she kind of blew me off. I know to rotate injection sites, and the dents never improve. I consciously do not inject in the same site.

If you are using animal insulin, changing to human insulin may help. Lipoatrophy is not as commonly seen now that mostly human insulins are used. If you use animal insulin because of improvement in your diabetes control, I would recommend talking to your doctor about the best approach. We used to recommend injecting at the edges of the lipoatrophy to build up or hypertrophy the areas of atrophy. There was one report in Diabetes Care which reported improvement using a needle-less injector. Please see previously answered questions about atrophy at this website.

Posted to Blood Tests and Insulin Injections and Complications