From Huntersville, North Carolina, USA:

I know that any sickness will stress the body and will inherently raise blood glucose levels. I have had a low grade lingering cold for several days and recently started taking Zithromax [an antibiotic medication]. (I am in day 4 of 5). Will the combination of an antibiotic and cold further raise my blood sugar levels? I am typically very well controlled on 2 injections (N) per day, but since taking the Zithromax, I have had to supplement with Regular to try and maintain semi-normal readings (normal average is about 115, with Zithromax, has been up and down, from 120 to 280).

No, I don't think antibiotics raise your blood sugar levels above what virus and/or bacterial infections do by themselves by increasing the insulin demand over the time of the sickness. Try to keep up with insulin (Regular before meals is the best for these particular purposes, leaving N as previously prescribed). Once recovered, you can start again if you wish your daily insulin scheme as before.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA and Other Illnesses