From Rockford, Illinois, USA:

Could you please help me? I have a 3 year old little boy who has diabetes. His counts are all over the place and no one will listen to me. I deal with this child every day and see what is going on with him his doctor just keep saying this is normal. What is normal about a child who goes from a high of 340 to a low of 22 with in minutes? He is a very hard kid to get to eat a normal times, I try to keep him on a regular set eating time but It is not working. There is no one I know of around here to turn to. Please help me.

A crazy Mom!

First and most importantly you are not crazy! Having said that, I understand how frightened you must be and it is frustrating when you sense that nobody is listening. A few questions: Are you seeing a pediatrician or a pediatric endocrinologist? If I had a three year old with diabetes, I would insist on having a pediatric endocrinologist involved with my child. They are especially trained to deal with children and the special needs surrounding a diagnosis of diabetes. You are your child's voice. And you must be assertive about this.

Second, is there a local branch of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation in your area? Check around for this. Parents can be a wonderful resource for supporting one another and that network might lead you to someone who will listen. Also, you could find other parents whose children have had wildly fluctuating blood sugars, who can assist you in ways you cannot imagine: they have walked in your shoes.

Third, do not just simmer with your feelings. It is important to respect the fact that you know your own child better than anyone else. Move into that knowledge and do not back down until you feel satisfied that your child is getting the best of care. Be a squeaky wheel!

Also, get involved with the American Diabetes Association and network with others who often are told "just don't worry about it" by people who are not living with this disease.

[Editor's comment: It is also suggested that you get a copy of Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace by Betty Brackenridge and Richard Rubin. WWQ]