Question:

From Ohio, USA:

Our 4 year old diabetic son has had some recent nighttime hypos of around 40. We are working with his diabetes team to resolve this. I was wondering about the use of uncooked cornstarch in the bedtime snack and how much should be used. We had tried the Zbar and NiteBite bars, which seem to work well but our son does not like the taste of either.

Answer:

You might try adding raw cornstarch to some sugar free yogurt (1 Tablespoon = about 7 grams of carbohydrate). Cooked starch does not seem to provide the same effect. Adding and extra protein with a higher fat content such as peanut butter or cheese may also keep blood sugars up. I would also recommend you consider buying the book Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace by Betty Brackenridge & Richard Rubin. This book is full of great suggestions and explanations for all kinds of problems that children with diabetes confront on a daily basis and it covers small children through teens.

LM

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Hypoglycemia