From Miami, Florida, USA:

My daughter was diagnosed with diabetes Type 1 just two days ago. She is eleven years old. I'm very confused with the diet she must follow. How many carbohydrates is she allowed per day? How much sugar is she allowed to have per day? Seems like sugar free items do have some content of sugar. Is "Lite" OK or must she have only sugar free foods?

It sounds like you need to see a dietitian if you haven't already. If you have worked with a dietitian and still don't understand the meal plan, set up another appointment as soon as possible. Each child's needs are individual and need to be addressed with a dietitian well-versed in taking care of children with diabetes. There are a lot of psychosocial factors to consider when developing a meal plan as well as blood glucose control goals.

If you need a referral to a pediatric diabetes team in your area consult your local American Diabetes Association Affiliate, Juvenile Diabetes Foundation Chapter or the American Association of Diabetes Educators in Chicago.