From America On-Line:

I have diabetes and have had it for 46 years. I am in good health. There was a television program that had information about something that was coming out for diabetics that they could take and not have to take shots again. I wasn't able to see the program. Do you you have any information on this?

I don't know what this might have been. It could have been talk about the relatively new oral medication mostly for Type 2 diabetics called Rezulin. Over a period of time about a quarter of the people with Type 2 diabetes who start on it can dispense with insulin; but it is expensive. And it has now been taken off the market in Britain because of liver toxicity. Or it could have been something on the transplant front a new immunosuppression schedule or yet another ingenious attempt to grow 'bullet proof' islets that can resist the body's immune system.

Updated 25 May 1998
Posted to Medications: Pills for Diabetes