Question:

From Clifton, New Jersey, USA:

My seventeen year old son diagnosed one year ago, and is coming out of an extended honeymoon period. I have read about the use of nicotinamide to prolong the honeymoon period. Since the pure form of this vitamin is not available here in the USA what is available that closely resembles it? (Niacinamide, nicotinic acid?) I do not want to give him anything that might cause a reaction from too large a dose.

Answer:

Nicotinamide does not prolong the honeymoon period. There were several properly organised trials some of them with other 'free radical scavengers' like Vitamin E. And you should under no circumstances substitute Nicotinic Acid, which you can buy in the supermarket, but which will produce unpleasant flushing and no effect on the diabetes.

Attempts to prolong the honeymoon period have all been unsuccessful except for one which turned out to be toxic for the kidneys after two years. The emphasis is now on trying to contain the diabetes before it reaches the full clinical stage. Nicotinamide is being used for this purpose in a big European trial called ENDIT and in a Canadian equivalent CANENDIT also insulin both orally and by low dose injection is being tried in the USA as DPT-1.

If your 17 year old has any younger siblings, you might like to suggest that they be tested for antibodies. A positive test is an indication that the autoimmune process which causes diabetes has begun; but not yet to the point of causing symptoms or insulin insufficiency.

DO'B

Posted to Honeymoon and Research: Causes and Prevention