From Scottsdale, Arizona, USA:

I have been in great pain in my arms, hands, fingers, legs, and feet. My doctor said it could be diabetic neuropathy. I have transient numbness in these body parts as well. I was wondering if this diabetic neuropathy could be responsible for a great deal of ongoing pain in my body. Does diabetes cause a person to have pain at all? I have been searching for a pain diagnosis from many different doctors for over a year now. They can find no other autoimmune illnesses other than the diabetes (my ANA level was pretty normal just recently) when I had a blood study performed. I do have a great amount of pain, but it is very difficult for my doctors to believe or accept the pain level I have with no real foundation for it. I hope you can provide information on any amount of body pain in diabetic neuropathy. I want to know if nerves in my body are malfunctioning due to the diabetes and can cause pain (diabetes was just diagnosed this past week). I have had the intense pain for about one year now. I also have a small goiter which we are going to treat. This condition started at age 10 and my doctor then told me to eat iodine salt to control it. I do not believe the goiter is the cause of the pain. I really need someone to help me.

One doctor told me the pain was "all in my mind" and to see a mental health advisor. This is just not true. I have physical pain due to some condition. I just need help in knowing why. Thank you for any help you can provide to me. It really means a great deal.

This is a tough call. First, neuropathy can be extremely painful for some people and unrelenting. Unfortunately, not a lot can be done about the pain. Some patients find relief with Elavil [amitriptyline] (an antidepressant medication) which has a beneficial side effect toward neuropathy.

Do you have a pain clinic in your area? There are many such clinics opening. They have experts in the field of pain management.

Also, have you spoken to a neurologist? There could be many reasons for your pain that have nothing to do with diabetes.

[Editor's comment: Also, see Diabetic Neuropathy. WWQ]