From Danville, Virginia, USA:

I have an 8 1/2 year old son who was diagnosed at age 3 1/2 with Type 1. He had a great first 4 years of good control, great sugar records and only 1 shot daily. Since about age 7, it has gone to the pits. The main problem is that he eats whatever he wants whenever he wants. He lies, trades food, sneaks food, etc. He eats like a teenager and is always hungry even though we set up a guidelines of carb counts for him with a dietitian. He is hungry when his sugar is 120, 150 or 350. He is allowed to eat as much as he wants, but he must do it the same way each day. That lasted one week. He is not angry or ugly at all. He does not, however, want to take any "personal" control with maintenance himself. He is very bright in school and enjoys sports. He takes 15 units of N and a sliding scale of Humalog in the A.M., and 6 units of N at night and the sliding scale for Humalog. We love Humalog. It is so much better than Regular. We never have lows and morning sugars are good. Its all day that I'm worried about. Help! Could the pump be the answer? Thank you in advance for your time.

The youngest patient my center ever put on a pump was 12 years old. One of the mandates for pump use is that the patient be utterly reliable about checking blood sugars (it must be done more frequently) and very competent in owning diabetes care.

It sounds like your son is not really at a point where he could handle such responsibility. It really is not about intelligence -- it is more a matter of maturity.

Rather than a dietitian, I would search for a counselor in your area with expertise in diabetes in children. They are not easy to locate, but very necessary. If a meal plan alone could guarantee good blood sugar control, nobody would have a problem with diabetes! In children, the issues are complex and a skilled counselor could really help you out with your son's behaviors.

Posted to Behavior