Question:

From Finland:

I am 21 years old, Type 1 diabetic. I'm planning on traveling to the US. What kind of documents should I have with me so that I can import my medication and needles? I don't want to be mistaken for a drug-addict!

Answer:

Ask your doctor for a letter for customs. The letter should indicate that you have diabetes, require insulin injections, and need to carry syringes with you. You should purchase health insurance for the U.S., usually purchased through travel agents. Don't forget to travel with plenty of supplies. Have a great trip!

LM

[Editor's comment: See Prescription Laws for information about laws regarding the purchase of insulin and syringes in the US and around the world. JSH]

Posted to Traveling