From Dallas, Texas, USA:

I'm a 34 year old black male, above average health, exercise every day, use tobacco sparingly (1-2 times a month). I have a family history of diabetes to include my mother and grandmother. Lately, after my lunch time workout, I have a strong desire for sweets, especially chocolate.

Is this a major warning sign, something to check, or something just to mention at my next physical?

I think it's normal to crave sweet things after a hard physical work-out. I wouldn't worry unduly and, in any case, no physical is complete without a urine check for glucose.