Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from Mar 1998

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Nov 15 | Oct 15 | Sep 15 | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. My 13 year old daughter has had two seizures in the last three weeks. Last Monday at 3 A.M., I heard her going through a seizure. If I had not heard her, would she just kept on seizing and with what outcome? (31 Mar 1998)

2. Our son is four years old and has been diabetic for three years. He will be having a biopsy next week to determine if he has celiac disease. He will be put under general anesthesia. (30 Mar 1998)

3. My baby has Type 1 diabetes. Is there a glucose meter that can be attached to my baby for full-time monitoring? (30 Mar 1998)

4. My six-year-old daughter was diagnosed eight months ago. Over the previous eight months she had spots on her face. Our G.P. and he said they could be sugar spots. Are these spots a symptom of diabetes? (30 Mar 1998)

5. Is there any software for Windows 95/NT that is designed only for calculating food groups for diabetics? (30 Mar 1998)

6. My son was diagnosed with Juvenile Diabetes and Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis. The symptoms of the arthritis appeared several months prior to the diabetes. Do you think the arthritis triggered the diabetes? (30 Mar 1998)

7. Do you know where I can find more information on the cause and treatment of diabetes as well as the more scientific details of insulin produced by the body and the insulin given by injections in reaction to food, exercise and inactivity? (30 Mar 1998)

8. My wife, age 60, has had diabetes Type 1 since age 15 and is on an insulin pump. What can I do when she throws up a meal after the bolus is already given? (30 Mar 1998)

9. I have a 13 year old daughter with diabetes. We use Humalog and NPH. When I increase her dose for ketones, is it okay to use Humalog? The information I have says to use Regular. (30 Mar 1998)

10. How many children in the US have diabetes? (29 Mar 1998)

11. I have been diagnosed with diabetes and am currently controlling it with medication. Am I supposed to count carbohydrates or sugar and what should my daily carbohydrate count be? I am 52 years old, 5'4" and weigh 170 pounds. (29 Mar 1998)

12. What information can you give me regarding a news release I heard about an ongoing test of an implanted insulin delivery device that supplies insulin on demand? (29 Mar 1998)

13. My 11 year old son was just diagnosed. We are adjusting to testing but have a question about the importance of timing the "after meal" test. (29 Mar 1998)

14. I would like to know if you have any information regarding the effectiveness of the following supplements: Gymnema Sylvestre; Vitamin C ester with Co-Enzyme Q10; pycnogenol; Cat's Claw. (29 Mar 1998)

15. My son (5 years old) is constantly thirsty, has a problem with accidents and when he has an open cut it takes longer than usual to heal. We have just begun to suspect diabetes. Is this a viable worry? (29 Mar 1998)

16. My father has been a diabetic for many years. He lives in constant pain that he can only describe like a terrible sun burn. He says his skin hurts when anything touches it and also itches most of the time. (29 Mar 1998)

17. I was diagnosed 5 years ago and have been on and off insulin 4 times. I now take Glucophage, Regular, Ultralente and NPH insulins. I have a problem with nightsweats and odiferous results. (29 Mar 1998)

18. My daughter is now coming out of the honeymoon. We added a dinner dose and increased her morning insulin. At her mid-morning snack she is in the 240-260 range and yet she is bottoming in the 40-70 range by lunch. (29 Mar 1998)

19. I have a 2 year old son who is constantly thirsty. I am worried that he may have diabetes since my father had it and my husband's father has it. My doctor will not even check him. (29 Mar 1998)

20. We are thinking about buying a new brand of monitor and wonder what you thought about it. (28 Mar 1998)

21. My miniature schnauzer, Gretchen, age 12, was diagnosed with diabetes a month ago. About a week after she was diagnosed, she developed a low blood platelet problem, treated with prednisone. This caused her blood sugar to skyrocket. (28 Mar 1998)

22. I have been using a major brand meter to check my blood sugar. My work places me in the jungles of South America and the Andes. The meter requires a rather large drop of blood. Another meter appears to be the answer. (28 Mar 1998)

23. My five-year-old daughter has had diabetes for over one year now. She was just diagnosed with shingles. Is there anything that I need to consider in dealing with these dual diagnoses? (28 Mar 1998)

24. I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes when I was 28th week of pregnancy. What kind of harm will this do to my baby? (28 Mar 1998)

25. I am the parent of 12-year old child with Type 1 diabetes, as well as a nurse educator. I would like a copy of the DCCT study results. Can you help? (28 Mar 1998)

26. I am planning a world tour with a friend, backpacking around the world for an indefinite period of time. What tips do you have about my insulin? (28 Mar 1998)

27. What's the best glucose monitoring device, in your opinion? (28 Mar 1998)

28. I'm a senior citizen with Type 2 diabetes. I would like to know it alcohol raises or lowers the blood sugar. (28 Mar 1998)

29. We are contemplating getting an insulin pump for our 16 year old son. However he is extremely allergic to tape. (28 Mar 1998)

30. I have a 15 year old son who was diagnosed at the age of twelve. He has a strange health history and I was wondering if he should be tested for any other conditions. (27 Mar 1998)

31. I am a 33 year old male with Type 1. Recently my doctor added Glucophage to my program. I have heard that Type 1's should not be taking this drug. Can you help? (27 Mar 1998)

32. My daughter is 11 years old and has had Type 1 diabetes for about 15 months. She is now having severe stomach pains to the point that she cannot stand upright and has missed quite a bit of school. (27 Mar 1998)

33. I have been diabetic for 40 1/2 years. I now have kidney disease. Do you know of any evidence that a low carb diet, which would lower blood sugars, would help or reverse some of the kidney damage? (27 Mar 1998)

34. Encapsulation of the digoxin in cyclodextrin increases both the solubility and stability of the drug. To your knowledge has this ever been attempted with insulin? (27 Mar 1998)

35. They recently checked my daughter's cord blood at birth for islet cell antibodies. This test was positive. How many newborns are testing positive for ISA's, and what does this positive test mean as far as my daughter getting IDDM? (27 Mar 1998)

36. What are the legal ramifications of not providing medical care for a child with diabetes? (27 Mar 1998)

37. My 20-month old daughter was diagnosed. I feel so sad, so hopeless. What are the statistics/prognosis for long-term diagnosed diabetics? (27 Mar 1998)

38. The doctor found slightly elevated levels of protein in my urine. He wants to put me on Zestril but from the information I have found, this is for people with heart problems not kidney problems. What's the deal? (27 Mar 1998)

39. It seems that no matter what I do, my blood sugars are high whenever I wake up. (27 Mar 1998)

40. My friend's daughter is 12 years old and was diagnosed with Type 1 at the age of 9. Her main problem is that since then, her growth stopped. Do you know any special hospitals or doctors that might help? (26 Mar 1998)

41. I have been recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. What are normal readings for healthy people without diabetes? (26 Mar 1998)

42. My daughter recently was diagnosed with diabetes. Last night we gave her no insulin. At 8:00 P.M. her blood glucose was 302. By 7:00 A.M. it was 27. In the honeymoon period, is it common for the body to produce too much insulin? (26 Mar 1998)

43. My nephew was recently diagnosed diabetic. The kid needs some teaching and support and I was hoping you could direct us in some way. (26 Mar 1998)

44. I was watching a "paid program" on television discussing a product called "Pancreas Tonic." Is it possible that this could be a treatment for Type 1? (26 Mar 1998)

45. I have a 6 year old with Fragile X syndrome who was diagnosed with Type 1 one year ago. In the last 10 months, he has been in the hospital twice with seizures. Is this common and is he likely to have many more hospitalizations? (26 Mar 1998)

46. My son was diagnosed with Type 1 a year and a half ago. Very frequently he calls from school around 9:30 A.M. and he will be 400-500 range. By lunch his blood glucose will be down under 200. Is this normal? (26 Mar 1998)

47. Are you aware of any football camps for teens with diabetes? (25 Mar 1998)

48. My daughter is two years and two weeks old. Twice during the last few weeks she has awakened with her breath smelling strongly of acetone. Could this be the beginning symptoms of diabetes? (24 Mar 1998)

49. I was diagnosed three months ago. Within two weeks I required no insulin and have been insulin free since then (2.5 months). Is it possible to be something else (what about Type 1B)? (24 Mar 1998)

50. I read that the GlucoWatch has been approved in Europe. Can you tell me if this is true? (24 Mar 1998)

51. My son was diagnosed at 1 year of age. He is currently 2 years, 8 months. His diabetes has been a real rollercoaster. Ever since his diagnosis he has been sick with anything and everything. (24 Mar 1998)

52. On an 18 month old diabetic, we found the following chemistry profile: Bicarbonate 18.2 (normal 22-28); BUN/Creatinine 35.0 (normal 12-20). What is the reason for these abnormalities? (24 Mar 1998)

53. How often should a blood glucose monitor be replaced? (24 Mar 1998)

54. My 9 year old niece was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes today. Her blood sugar was 1295 when she entered the emergency room. Could a thyroid problem cause her sugar level to climb like that if her metabolism is out of whack? (24 Mar 1998)

55. My 13 year old daughter was diagnosed when she was 8. Last year her pediatrician did a urine spot test for protein. It tested positive. We did an overnight collection and her protein level was normal. (24 Mar 1998)

56. I am inquiring about a 14 year old orphan boy. I believe many of his problems stem from Type 1. Unfortunately, getting a test done here in Romania is a very complicated process. (24 Mar 1998)

57. At what age can children get an insulin pump? Also, how near in the future is islet cell transplantation? (24 Mar 1998)

58. Our son is 11 years old. He injects four shots a day using R morning, noon and dinner and N at bedtime. We cannot get his numbers down in the morning to save our life. (23 Mar 1998)

59. Recently I switched from 2 injections a day to 4 injections for tighter control. I am having some problems with hypoglycemia with this regimen. I am also experiencing very high blood sugars 2 hours after supper. Could this be a result of switching to Novolin from Humulin? (23 Mar 1998)

60. My last test results included a fructosamine test. With a level of 275, what would have been my approximate Hba1C level at that time? (23 Mar 1998)

61. My niece was diagnosed at age 8 and is now 16. Her mom is concerned with her weight gain (approximately 25 pounds). How does this affect her diabetes? (23 Mar 1998)

62. I am 14 years old. I have unstable blood sugar counts. My counts range from in the 30's to over 600 sometimes. I would like to know if puberty has a lot to do with a lot of my crazy sugar readings, and if it does will there be a long term affect on my body because of these? (23 Mar 1998)

63. My wife's aunt is visiting us. She is 62 and has Type 2. Her readings have been averaging 250 or more before meals. Should we give her some insulin? (23 Mar 1998)

64. I was wondering if there was any form of machine that would measure the correct amount of insulin into a syringe. This would be extremely helpful for blind and/or elderly people with diabetes. (23 Mar 1998)

65. I was diagnosed 9 months ago with Type 2 diabetes. Currently I am taking Rezulin. My fasting blood sugar is always in the 80-95 range. HbA1c came back 4.9. How do you come to the decision to stop oral medications and see if diet and exercise alone can work? (23 Mar 1998)

66. My 7 year old son has diabetes. His older brother, who is 9, sometimes has high sugars. Does this mean that he is also developing diabetes? (23 Mar 1998)

67. Our 8 year old son was diagnosed six months ago. He recently had minor surgery. The anesthesiologist gave him 2 units of Regular. In the recovery room his blood glucose was 110. Ten minutes later, his blood glucose had dropped to 35. Was the sudden drop something we should have expected? (23 Mar 1998)

68. Would you please tell me if diabetics of any type can take brown sugar? Is only white sugar the one to avoid? (22 Mar 1998)

69. I need a discount program or something for the medications my diabetic husband takes. They are very expensive, most especially one of the diabetes pills. It costs over a hundred dollars a month. (22 Mar 1998)

70. We were reading about testing allegedly sugar-free drinks in restaurants and would like to try it ourselves. Many times we get drinks that either aren't marked or the waiter/waitress mixes them up. So, what do we do? (22 Mar 1998)

71. I was recently put on the pump. I have had a terrible time injecting the needle. My doctor prescribed EMLA which numbs the site. Is EMLA safe? (22 Mar 1998)

72. My daughter is 6 years old and was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes over three years ago. What is the worst case scenario for severe hypoglycemia? (22 Mar 1998)

73. What are the pro's and con's of insulin pumps for children with diabetes? (22 Mar 1998)

74. It seems that whenever I go to bed, no matter what my blood sugar is, I always wake up high (I think of high as over 140 mg/dl). Do you have any suggestions? (22 Mar 1998)

75. My friend has been neglecting her schedule and in the last 2 weeks has given less than 15 injections. She asked me today to keep reminding/bugging her to stay on top of it because she knows she's starting to neglect it. (22 Mar 1998)

76. My 10 year old has diabetes, diagnosed 6 years. I am interested in pursuing chromium picolate. Can you tell me more? (22 Mar 1998)

77. Our daughter, age 6, was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes two months ago. Are there over-the-counter medications that she should never take? (22 Mar 1998)

78. On the news, they mentioned that my blood pressure medicine Norvasc and diabetes don't mix. I've been unable to find any other reference to this. (21 Mar 1998)

79. I have a son 3 years old with Type 1 diabetes. A fellow worker told me to try a couple of teaspoons of vinegar. Have you ever heard any research done on vinegar? (21 Mar 1998)

80. My 9 month old contracted the rotavirus over 2 weeks ago. How long will he have it? He still has diarrhea. Is there a link to diabetes? (21 Mar 1998)

81. Several months ago I started having symptoms of hypoglycemia. Is it possible to get Type 1 with only an extended-family history of Type 2? (21 Mar 1998)

82. My son was diagnosed at 7 with Type 1. He is currently 8, been diabetic for 4 months. He recently is screaming and yelling when it is shot time. (21 Mar 1998)

83. Please send me information where I might be able to get recipes and articles on food preparation in Spanish. (21 Mar 1998)

84. My daughter is 5 years old; she has been Type 1 for a year and a half. Our problem is that her readings are in the range of 100-150 all day, but at her bedtime it's in the range of 300-500. (21 Mar 1998)

85. My doctor tells me that the normal range for blood sugar is 60-120. Other people tell me that the normal blood sugar is 80-120. What is the normal range for blood sugar? (21 Mar 1998)

86. I am 16 years old and have had Type 1 diabetes for 5.5 years. I recently found out that I am pregnant. Can you please give me as much information as possible about this? (21 Mar 1998)

87. If you have any ideas where I could get a comprehensive list of celebrities who have diabetes, I would appreciate it. (21 Mar 1998)

88. I am in my 23rd week of pregnancy and my doctor has requested the glucose test. I have been told that this test is no longer a standard procedure. I would like to know if this test is absolutely necessary. (20 Mar 1998)

89. I am on 4 mg of Amaryl. I had a fasting blood test this A.M. that came out 138. If I double my dose and have another test in a few days, what do you think will happen? My job is on the line. (20 Mar 1998)

90. My 8 year old son has been Type 1 for one year. We have tried to get an A1c test but his team of doctors say that his blood won't allow a proper reading. (It comes up 1.8.) Is there any other type of averaging test used for kids that can't get the A1c? (20 Mar 1998)

91. My daughter was diagnosed 3 weeks ago with Type 1 diabetes. She is doing very well with her shots. However, sometimes, my daughter says that the insulin "burns" as I give her the shot. Any ideas what causes this or how to prevent it? (20 Mar 1998)

92. My 8 year old son has recently been diagnosed as a borderline diabetic. He is now going to have a glucose tolerance test done. What is a normal blood sugar and how high does it have to be in order to tell if you are a diabetic or not? (20 Mar 1998)

93. My mother has just been diagnosed with diabetes. Can she use honey for a sugar substitute? (19 Mar 1998)

94. I am 18 years old and have had diabetes for 16 years. My glycohemoglobin has bounced around a lot. I want to know how I can get my hemoglobin down into a normal range. range. (19 Mar 1998)

95. I have heard about some new research involving gene therapy. Can you tell me more? (19 Mar 1998)

96. Is there any reason why my blood sugar would suddenly go high and not respond to insulin? (19 Mar 1998)

97. I am an E.R. nurse. We do a few shifts per month at the County Jail. We just found out last week that a few of the guys have a trick for making the glucometer read low. (19 Mar 1998)

98. Is it likely that over-the-counter Tagamet can elevate blood sugar over 200 points in two or three hours? (17 Mar 1998)

99. Can a person present with glucosuria on three occasions but have a normal test result on the HgbA1c? (17 Mar 1998)

100. I was diagnosed as a Type 1 diabetic 7 years ago at age 24. The C-peptide came back normal and the anti-islet test came back negative. What am I? Type 1 or Type 2 or MODY? I have gone to 3 different endocrinologists and received 3 different answers. (17 Mar 1998)

101. I am a school nurse working in an intermediate school. We have a 12 year old diabetic who has had very fluctuating blood sugars for 3 years. I think she is manipulating her blood sugar. (17 Mar 1998)

102. My 7 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 3 months ago. His blood sugar readings fluctuate wildly. If he takes Humalog with meals, would this lower the rest of his readings too much? (17 Mar 1998)

103. You would not believe the crap that our school system puts my daughter through. She recently was in the hospital with ketone acidosis, and two of her teachers wanted to know what she ate to put her in the hospital. (17 Mar 1998)

104. My 13 year old niece has many control problems. Approximately 6 months ago, she was diagnosed with gastroparesis. Will an insulin pump be of any advantage to her? How can we help her? (16 Mar 1998)

105. What would be the effect on T-cell activity and formation during stressful times? If diabetes is viral, what effect would that have on fighting the viral infection? (16 Mar 1998)

106. My wife has diabetes. She says she can have fatty foods because they are low in sugar. Is that true? (16 Mar 1998)

107. I am 24 years old and was diagnosed with diabetes a little over one year ago. When I was nineteen I had a blood test and my doctor diagnosed me with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). Can PCOS lead to diabetes? (16 Mar 1998)

108. Are there any endocrine disorders, in which diabetes is also a factor, that would cause excess hair growth? (16 Mar 1998)

109. My son is 12 years old and has diabetes since he was 6. When he experiences a low glucose reaction one of his most common symptoms is hunger. We are wondering what would raise his blood sugar faster, a food or a drink? (16 Mar 1998)

110. I have been on prednisone for two years, currently 40 mg per day. A friend has a home glucose test machine. I have taken my blood sugar readings and they run between 188 and 220. Is this good, bad, etc.? (16 Mar 1998)

111. My sister was diagnosed about a week ago. I have been searching the Internet for more information and have been very discouraged by the what I have seen. (16 Mar 1998)

112. Is there any more recent information on the safety of using Humalog before and during pregnancy than that which is currently on your website? (16 Mar 1998)

113. Four months ago my six year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. Is there anything at all we should do to try and prevent our younger daughter (2 years old now) from developing Type 1 diabetes? (16 Mar 1998)

114. I was told that protein will not raise the blood sugar. Is this true? (15 Mar 1998)

115. I'm newly diagnosed with gestational diabetes. My primary concern is ketones. I've been checking and they've been high. My endocrinologist and obstetrician don't seem concerned. Where would you suggest I go from here? (15 Mar 1998)

116. My daughter is 21 and has Type 1 diabetes. She is getting tired of taking shots with the standard needle. Is it possible to use the air type injector? (15 Mar 1998)

117. Can you provide me with the best clinic and address in U.S.A. for childhood diabetes? (15 Mar 1998)

118. What exactly is the difference between a diabetologist and endocrinologist? (15 Mar 1998)

119. My 6 year old niece has Type 1 diabetes. When she is sick and does not eat, it is difficult to regulate her sugar levels. Are there any guidelines to follow to determine how much and what type of insulin she should be getting? (15 Mar 1998)

120. My father is an over the road truck driver. He has Type 2 diabetes. The problem is, there is no information on eating out for diabetics. Is there any information that would help him in his fight for diabetes? (15 Mar 1998)

121. I have a friend, 20 years old, who injected too much insulin and has been in a coma for about one month now. Can you tell me what are the chances that she would be able to completely recover and how long would it take? (15 Mar 1998)

122. At 27 weeks into my pregnancy, I had a 1-hour glucose tolerance screening test. What are the glucose tolerance testing procedures? What should my diet consist of prior to the test? (15 Mar 1998)

123. I have a 12 year old stepdaughter with Type 1 diabetes. She is with us every weekend and at her mother's house during the week. She comes to us with scores in the 200-300 range with a few "lows" scattered in. (15 Mar 1998)

124. My son was recently diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. He was put on NPH insulin. Then they took him off it before arriving home. Since arriving home his blood sugars have been normal. Is there any disease that would cause this? (14 Mar 1998)

125. I am worried about my grandson. I have read that consuming sugar is not a cause of getting diabetes. However, he will not eat food if it is not sweet. (14 Mar 1998)

126. I have had diabetes for 11 years now. My husband and I have had one healthy baby and were wondering if it would be wise to have another. (14 Mar 1998)

127. One year ago my friend's child was diagnosed. He went into the honeymoon stage and his parents took him off insulin. Months later his levels are still 80-90's in the A.M. No insulin -- his mother claims he must be making his own again. (14 Mar 1998)

128. My 10 year old was diagnosed Type 1 when he was 4 years old. He was previously diagnosed with asthma. Since the diabetes he's been diagnosed with epilepsy, ADD and chronic constipation. Is it common for diabetic children to have many other diseases and/or disorders? (14 Mar 1998)

129. I understand that a company has submitted a 510(K) with the FDA for its new product. What is the 501(K) exactly? (14 Mar 1998)

130. I used the Diabetes Risk Test. Is this calculator rigged to scare everyone? (14 Mar 1998)

131. I understand that a diabetes product is in Phase III Clinical trials. Can you give me any idea about how long these Phase III trials generally take? Also, if the medication were to pass, what's the next step? (14 Mar 1998)

132. We have a 15 year old daughter with Type 1 who recently got her daytime driver's license and is anxious to drive by herself. Do you have any suggestions for us to help ensure her safety while driving solo? (14 Mar 1998)

133. Do must people's insulin dosage decrease when switching to Humalog? (14 Mar 1998)

134. I am in the 7th week of my first pregnancy. My pre-conception glycohemoglobin was 5.4. My doctor felt that the glycohemoglobin was too low. Isn't that a contradiction? (11 Mar 1998)

135. I am a 13 year old girl who wants to do an exchange with an American or Canadian girl or boy but I don't know how to manage with the insurance. How can I do it? (11 Mar 1998)

136. How does blending high fibre foods affect carbohydrate content? (11 Mar 1998)

137. My friend lives in New Hampshire. Her 2 year old was recently diagnosed. What is the best referral/resource for information on kids this age? (11 Mar 1998)

138. I am 9 years old. I want to know what kind of medicine I can take for diabetes. I want to know what can I do to treat diabetes. Can I still eat candy and pop. How can you prevent diabetes? (11 Mar 1998)

139. I have had diabetes for 23 years. I just turned 40 and am 8 weeks pregnant. Almost immediately upon becoming pregnant, I started showing high levels of ketones in the morning. Is there any other way to treat early am ketones besides waking yourself up all night? (10 Mar 1998)

140. I have been dating a Type 1 diabetic for nearly two years now and he seems to not have his diabetes in control. I am concerned for his future. Any suggestions? (10 Mar 1998)

141. A friend of mine has just been diagnosed with gestational diabetes. Will this stop once she gives birth? What harm may come to the fetus? (10 Mar 1998)

142. My wife, 32, has maintained superb control since diagnosis at 16. We are trying to start a family and have been unsuccessful. The fertility specialist wants to start her a Clomid, but I am wary. Is this even likely to work? (10 Mar 1998)

143. I'm 37, 27 weeks pregnant, and have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes. If carbos and sugars are what causes my blood sugar to be high, wouldn't a higher protein, lower carbo diet make more sense? (10 Mar 1998)

144. My 7 year old daughter went for a checkup thinking she may have a urinary infection and they found sugar in her urine with white blood cells. I am a diabetic. Could she be becoming a diabetic? (9 Mar 1998)

145. I was diagnosed when I was 16, and for 8 years afterwards I was on my parents' insurance because I stayed in school. Now I am married and my wife and I are having trouble buying insurance. Does anyone offer insurance to people like me? (9 Mar 1998)

146. Why does Glucagon have a such a short expiry date of 3 months? (9 Mar 1998)

147. My son who is 13 years old was diagnosed 5 years ago. He wants to attend a school field trip to Boston, which will end up being 4 nights and 5 days. (9 Mar 1998)

148. I need some ideas for protein for a 7 year old child with Type 1 diabetes and who dislikes peanut butter and is getting sick of cheeses. Meals are not a problem, just snacks. (9 Mar 1998)

149. My son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 2 1/2 years ago. He cannot keep weight on. (9 Mar 1998)

150. I have a kitten with diabetes who has been regulated on Iletin (beef/pork) Lente. Eli Lilly is planning to stop production. Do you know anywhere where beef/pork insulins will continue to be manufactured? (9 Mar 1998)

151. My grandson is 6 years old and has had Type 1 diabetes for 5 years. Any help in finding out if these supplies are definitely covered by any new law would be helpful. My daughter has a family of 5 and is low income. (9 Mar 1998)

152. I am a 52 year old woman who was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes two years ago. How common is it for someone my age to have this form of diabetes? (9 Mar 1998)

153. I was 21 years old when I became pregnant with my daughter. I was diagnosed as a gestational diabetic at 26 weeks. What are the chances that I will have gestational diabetes with my next pregnancy? (9 Mar 1998)

154. Our 8 year old daughter was diagnosed 8 months ago, and during the last two months we have had difficulty controlling blood sugars. It seems like we change insulin every day. (8 Mar 1998)

155. I recently read an alarming report about the dangers of aspartame use. Its use is so widespread and so many diabetics rely on it that I am concerned about the legitimacy of this report. (8 Mar 1998)

156. When I get pregnant my obstetrics doctor always wants me to have lower blood sugars and this usually leads to trouble. I have spoken to my diabetic doctor and he says my blood sugars are fine for pregnancy. Any suggestions? (8 Mar 1998)

157. I read somewhere that one gram of carbohydrate raises the blood glucose of a 100 pound person 12 points. I'm wondering what the formula is for a 35 pound child? (8 Mar 1998)

158. Hi. I am 12 years old. This week I found out I have Type 1 diabetes. I tried sugar free ice cream and it kinda tasted like chalk. Are there any good brands that don't taste bad? (8 Mar 1998)

159. I am currently giving my children "Echinacea" as an immune system booster. I have heard that the cause of diabetes may due to the immune system attaching itself. Is is a good idea to be giving my children "Echinacea?" (8 Mar 1998)

160. My dad worries too much. Any suggestion? (8 Mar 1998)

161. I am a forty year old white male with insulin dependent diabetes for 22 years. My problem is that my fasting blood sugars usually run from 170 to 220. Do you have any suggestions? (8 Mar 1998)

162. My 5 year old son was diagnosed when he was 11 months old. We switched him from Regular to Humalog. I'm wondering why he does not respond any quicker to it. (8 Mar 1998)

163. Has any research been done on the possible link between adverse reactions to the DPT vaccination and diabetes? (8 Mar 1998)

164. My son was diagnosed 2 years ago. Later we found out that another student on his basketball team was diagnosed the same week. Do you think this is merely coincidence? Is diabetes considered infectious? (7 Mar 1998)

165. What is the protocol for screening children if there is a family history of diabetes? In other words, how often should they get a finger stick? Or what would be a useful screening protocol? (7 Mar 1998)

166. I'm a 16 year old female recently diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia. I have a strong family history of diabetes. Does having hypoglycemia now mean I'm going to get diabetes? (7 Mar 1998)

167. Why are test strips so expensive? The test paper looks like a coffee filter. Is it something incredibly fancy? (7 Mar 1998)

168. What complications arise from diabetes? (7 Mar 1998)

169. I saw a show that talked about research being done on the connection between the onset of autoimmune diabetes and the timing of various childhood vaccinations as the possible "environmental trigger." (7 Mar 1998)

170. My 4 year old daughter presented once with glucosuria while on Pediapred for croup. She once again has a upper respiratory infection and while on Augmentin, she presented again with glucosuria. Could she have diabetes? (7 Mar 1998)

171. My sister does not keep a well maintained diet and her blood sugar is always high. She also drinks and smokes occasionally. Could you please send me information on the effects of these bad habits? (5 Mar 1998)

172. My 6 year old son was diagnosed about 7 months ago. I am very shaky still that we can not stop him from eating too much no matter how often he eats! Should I start counting his carbohydrates? (5 Mar 1998)

173. Our daughter is 18 years old. She was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes when she was 11. She is also mildly retarded with physical disabilities also. Is there any agency that can help her? We won't always be her for her. (5 Mar 1998)

174. My son is 8 years old and was diagnosed with diabetes one year ago. For the last 3 or 4 months it has been very difficult to control his blood sugar. A slight amount of more or less insulin will put him in hypo or hyperglycemia. (5 Mar 1998)

175. I have a 9 year old child who was diagnosed with diabetes 3 years ago. Where can I find information in Spanish about this illness? (5 Mar 1998)

176. My 9 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 two weeks ago. He is on a combination of NPH and Regular insulin. We've been told that NPH and Regular are somewhat out of date for kids. Do you have any opinions about that? (4 Mar 1998)

177. I am a 28 year old and have had Type 1 diabetes for about 3 years. I am somewhat active, but have lots of problems with hyperglycemia. Is there a way I can lower my blood sugars without increasing my insulin doses? (4 Mar 1998)

178. My daughter is 9 and complains of constant headaches, and stomach aches. I have heard from other parents that some children on NPH experience headaches and stomach aches for no other explained reason. Is this possible? (4 Mar 1998)

179. My daughter is seven years old and was diagnosed at 20 months of age. She is doing great but we have a problem with counting carbs. How many carbs should she have at each meal and snack? (4 Mar 1998)

180. I have been a diabetic for 4 years and have always had a very hard time controlling my sugars. My blood sugars range from 80 to 500. Would I be considered a brittle diabetic and if not what is a brittle diabetic? (4 Mar 1998)

181. My boyfriend's grandmother is a diabetic. She is unable to take care of herself due to other health conditions. Are there any cookbooks published to help those taking care of her prepare the meals? (4 Mar 1998)

182. My 7 year old son was diagnosed at 22 months. We recently switched from Regular to Humalog at dinner. Now he is consistently very high all night into wake-up time. Any suggestions? (4 Mar 1998)

183. My 3 year old nephew was just diagnosed with diabetes. How significant is the age with potential complications? (4 Mar 1998)

184. My 5 year old son has a history of seizures. Not just low blood sugars, but true seizures. Is there a study being done on seizures that I can read about, or any other information I can get about this subject? (3 Mar 1998)

185. Understanding Insulin-Dependent Diabetes recommends foil-wrapped Ketostix, but I cannot find any. Do you know of a source? (3 Mar 1998)

186. Hi, my blood sugar is higher in the morning than at night most of the time. Is this normal, and if not, what should I do about it? (3 Mar 1998)

187. My 7 year old son was diagnosed as Type 1 three years ago. His last HA1C came out to be 9.7. I am thinking of returning to a three-a-day injection pattern to achieve a tighter control. What would you tell me to do? (3 Mar 1998)

188. In our neighborhood, there are three houses in a row and three children with diabetes. Who can I contact that would be interested in viewing the history of these children for a commonality that may point to a trigger for diabetes? (3 Mar 1998)

189. Can I use Novopen with Humalog Lilly or only with Novo insulin? (3 Mar 1998)

190. Our 5 year old son has not been getting good results with human insulin. Would a switch to pork or beef/pork insulin help his control? (3 Mar 1998)

191. Occasionally I check my daughter who is 2 years she is not diabetic. One night she registered at 46. What could be going on here? She has no symptoms of low blood sugar. (3 Mar 1998)

192. Is there any other condition which would show similar symptoms to diabetes mellitus in a 7 year old girl? (3 Mar 1998)

193. My wife believes that carbohydrates derived from fruit juice or refined sugar "burn up" faster than carbohydrates from milk or bread. I believe that all carbohydrates burn up at an equal rate. Who is correct? (3 Mar 1998)

194. My 32 year old brother came down with diabetes when he was about 23. In the last two months occasionally his sugar runs around 350, then a few hours later he drops so quickly he has been having seizures. What is causing these seizures? (2 Mar 1998)

195. What are the guidelines for normal insulin levels in the blood following an oral glucose tolerance test, and is there a table that relates the insulin level to the actual degree of beta cell loss? (2 Mar 1998)

196. My son is now approaching 19. He was diagnosed at age 5. His health is now deteriorating. He recently was hospitalized with ketoacidosis. I feel helpless. Please send me some suggestions of what I can do at this stage. (2 Mar 1998)

197. I am looking for confirmation and documentation on the effect that a condensed and intense period of stress has on the onset of Type 1 diabetes. (1 Mar 1998)

198. While watching the TV news, we saw a news story about implanted beta cells in capsules which eliminate the need for injection of insulin. What should I tell my 13 year-old son with Type 1 diabetes about this news? (1 Mar 1998)

199. Is it true that if something unexpected happens, it will cause your sugar to go up? (1 Mar 1998)

200. In attempts to lose weight on a 1500 calorie ADA diet, I have trace to moderate ketones in my urine. I eat appropriate carbs but do watch them, and I an finally losing weight. Is this ketosis dangerous? (1 Mar 1998)

201. Is there any evidence that A1c results are affected by recent high daily readings or by wide variation in daily readings? (1 Mar 1998)

The Diabetes Team

Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts