Question:

From Cyprus:

While watching the TV news, we saw a news story about implanted beta cells in capsules which eliminate the need for injection of insulin. What should I tell my 13 year-old son with Type 1 diabetes about this news?

Answer:

I would tell your son that researchers are working very hard to find a cure for diabetes. News like this is always encouraging. As of this moment, we do not have a cure but there is always room for hope. If this procedure becomes frequent and commonplace, it will be a huge step. For right now, it remains experimental.

CMB

Posted to Research: Cure