Question:

From Milford, New York, USA:

My 32 year old brother came down with diabetes when he was about 23. He gives himself insulin regularly, and tests his sugar regularly. In the last two months occasionally his sugar runs around 350, so he doesn't eat a meal trying to compensate this level, then a few hours later he drops so quickly he has been having seizures. What is causing these seizures? What are the dangers of them? Is this happening because of the way he is caring for himself? The hospital just admits him long enough to get the sugar leveled off, then they send him home. Is there anything we can do to help him? I would appreciate some insight on this matter to better understand what is happening to him.

Answer:

There really isn't a lot to go on here; sounds like his insulin and eating don't match very well! I'd need to know more about his specific treatment plan to give a more complete answer. But, my hunch is that he needs a different kind of insulin program to match his lifestyle. If he's not currently being followed a a diabetes team (nurse, dietitian and endocrinologist), he needs to see one to get things straightened out.

SS