Question:

From Buffalo, New York, USA:

My son is 5 diagnosed at 3.5 years with Type 1 diabetes. Occasionally I check my daughter who is 2 years she is not diabetic. One night she registered at 46 asymptomatic. I tested myself (non-diabetic) and was 74. Then I tested her again and she was 48. What could be going on here? She has no symptoms of low blood sugar. I am getting worried. We gave her some juice and she went to 93.

Answer:

Home blood glucose meters are not accurate enough to distinguish a hypoglycemic reading versus a normal blood sugar. I would not give your child (without diabetes) juice to treat a "low" based on a home meter. If your child is healthy and without problems, I would not be concerned. If you have any questions about your child, talk to your primary care provider.

Normal blood glucose levels may be in the 60's and even in the 50's mg/dl in some people.

Remember, that when a person with diabetes has a reading of 60 mg/dl, although it may be a normal blood glucose, the injected insulin will still be working and may further lower the blood glucose. A person who does not take insulin injections will not need to be concerned about further lowering of blood glucose. Their pancreas will keep their blood glucose in range by providing the right insulin and glucagon balance.

LM