From Qatar:

My 7 year old son was diagnosed as Type 1 three years ago. His blood sugar levels are always erratic. He was on a three-shot-a-day regimen at the beginning; he is now taking insulin twice daily. His last HA1C came out to be 9.7 which terrified me a lot. I am thinking of returning to a three-a-day injection pattern to achieve a tighter control. What would you tell me to do? He weighs 26 kgs and measures 134 cm in height.

Although your son's A1C could be improved, it is certainly not a result to be terrified about. Your anxiety is natural. I have rarely met a parent of a child with diabetes who did not want really low A1C readings.

Stress elevates blood sugars in people. Children, being "psychic sponges," tend to absorb whatever anxiety is around them. Try to understand that there is no such animal as "perfect" control. At age 7, I expect your son's blood sugars may bounce around as a result of the stress of growing and changing. That is natural. Puberty will be yet another time of great change for him.

In general, he is going to pick up the attitude of those around him. If you acknowledge that there is room to improve and do all you can, then he will probably reflect that view. If you are, as you say, terrified, then he will also be terrified and nobody improves. It is important that you find some support for yourself as a parent of a child with diabetes. I think if you can talk to other parents, your anxiety will lessen and you may pick up clues to help you and your son.

Finally, fear usually begets fear. In working with children who have diabetes, I have found that love and support work major miracles.