From Washington State, USA:

My 3 year old nephew was just diagnosed with diabetes. How significant is the age with potential complications?

There is no family history of diabetes. Are there conditions other than diabetes that could cause the hyperglycemia? Just prior to his diagnosis he had chicken pox. Could this have stimulated the onset of the diabetes?

Children should be well controlled from the start of their diabetes but, as we have said many times, young children need a bit more leeway. If diabetes is looked after properly then the prognosis is excellent. We no longer believe that childhood is "free" in terms of storing up trouble but the middle childhood years are usually relatively easy anyway.

I have seen diabetes presenting after chickenpox before but this is only the "last straw" and not the primary cause.

Provided your nephew also had a history of drinking a lot and passing a lot of urine for some time then I don't believe that the diagnosis is in doubt.