From West Virginia, USA:

My daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 11 months ago. She is 9 now and complains of constant headaches, and stomach aches. I have heard from other parents that some children on NPH experience headaches and stomach aches for no other explained reason. Is this possible? She has had an upper GI, ultrasound, bloodwork and everything so far has been negative.

I have never heard of headaches and stomach aches being more common with any particular type of insulin. Children who are on too much insulin sometimes complain of headaches and stomach aches (they may also have excessive weight gain or periodic low blood sugars followed by high blood sugars). If there is a family history of migraines, both the headaches and stomach aches may be symptoms of migraines. If you have ruled out problems with blood sugars and GI problems, you may want to discuss with your child's physician consulting a pediatric neurologist experienced in the diagnosis and treatment of childhood migraines.

Posted to Aches and Pains