Question:

From Fairfax Station, Virginia, USA:

My 6 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 about 7 months ago. We are going to a program at Children's Hospital and I am very shaky still that we can not stop him from eating too much no matter how often he eats! We keep changing his insulin doses which he takes (two shots a day) every week and he is always on the high side, specially after school get bad - around 300s. Should I start counting his carbohydrates? Give him less food and say no more? Or is this a normal reaction to a very healthy and active kid?

Another problem is that he always complains of foot pain when he has high sugar levels and we do not know about. Is it dangerous?

I am very scared about the diabetes and not being able to regulate his sugar at a good level. Please give me so input on this.

Answer:

During the first year following the diagnosis of diabetes, a child may have a variety of fluctuations in blood sugar. If your son is really hungry it may be that his insulin level is too high and he is "feeding the insulin:" ask your doctor about this. Another approach is that he may not be getting enough calories to satisfy him. That is where a dietitian is essential as a part of your health care team.

Is it possible that your son is "sneaking" food at school? Sometimes friends will feel sorry for a child with diabetes and share their food. Are there vending machines at school? Could your son be hiding food somewhere? I know this sounds silly but I could tell you some hilarious stories about the creativity of kids with diabetes!

The foot pain does not make sense in a six year old, at least as it relates to diabetes. He could have heard grownups discussing diabetes and the danger to the feet in adulthood. Check with your child's physician about this.

Lastly, try not to worry yourself sick. Your son is a little boy first and he has diabetes second. Children with diabetes mostly need to learn how to live with it...and not let it ruin their childhood altogether. Make compromises and take it easy on yourself. Do not be The Sugar Police - it will backfire!

CMB