From Bakersfield, California, USA:

I have a son who is six years old diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes a few weeks ago. Recently on TV I saw a show that talked about research being done on the connection between the onset of autoimmune diabetes and the timing of various childhood vaccinations as the possible "environmental trigger." The story did not discuss the "genetic predisposition" needed to present in order for the disease to start, but it did discuss their findings of a significant relationship between the vaccination and the onset of diabetes. The implications can be huge if I am understanding the story correctly. Have you seen any research on this?

The JDF has published a commentary, entitled Concerns about Diabetes and Vaccines Questions and Answers, which addresses the February 16, 1998 ABC News story which suggested that vaccines, depending on when they are administered, may increase or decrease the risk of developing Type 1 diabetes.

In summary, I think that the theory proposed (that the timing of vaccinations makes a difference in the rate of development of autoimmune diseases including diabetes), is thin on evidence. The research on which the theory is based is, in the words of the JDF response, "not consistent with current scientific thinking and have not been verified by other researchers."

Unless future research data is developed to support the theory, it seems premature for physicians and parents to worry about changing the present recommendations for vaccination.