From Oriental, North Carolina, USA:

Has any research been done on the possible link between adverse reactions to the DPT vaccination and diabetes? Since the true cause of diabetes is not yet known shouldn't this be pursued just to rule it out?

I think you will find a lot of material on Type 1 diabetes and vaccination in general on the web and at the pages and links at CWD. As a general rule, literature data has found so far no proof that various childhood vaccination do have any effect on future diabetes, neither increasing nor decreasing the risk.

Recently there has been a debate about the onset of Type 1 diabetes and the timing of childhood vaccination. See our page about Immunizations and Type 1 Diabetes.

To sum up, I do not think that we have any evidence that vaccination is in any way related to diabetes.

Updated January 16, 2006