Question:

From Kalispell, Montana, USA:

My 5 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 11 months old. We switched him from Regular to Humalog. I'm wondering why he does not respond any quicker to it. I mix it with NPH both A.M. and P.M. I have tried separating it, but it doesn't seem to make much difference. Why do some people not respond more quickly? Is there anything I can do to encourage it?

Answer:

It is my impression that in most people lispro insulin [Humalog® brand] does work somewhat faster and last a shorter time than Regular. In some patients the difference may be minimal. Even if you aren't seeing a difference in how fast the Humalog works, you may notice a difference in how long it lasts. For instance, when switching to Humalog in the morning, you might not see much difference in the morning and pre-lunch blood sugars, but you might see that the blood sugars in the afternoon or before supper are slightly higher.

I have also been concerned that some bottles of Humalog may have been spoiled in shipment in my local area. I have found that sometimes just opening a new vial (with a different "ID number") on the side may improve blood sugars. If this happens please let me know the "ID numbers" on both vials. I have spoken to Eli Lilly about my impressions and they are very concerned to make sure the insulin is being handled properly after it leaves the plant. They have very strict guidelines about how the insulin should be shipped, which, if followed properly, should result in excellent preservation of the insulin. They have no control, however, how the insulin is shipped after it leaves the private suppliers. They have asked me to return any vials I am concerned about for further testing.

I do not feel there is any problem whatsoever with Humalog itself. It seems to have a very consistent pattern of action. I am concerned that with mail order shipping of samples from private suppliers, some may have not been shipped under the proper temperature and either been exposed to freezing or heating.

Posted to Insulin Analogs