Question:

From Illinois, USA:

Hi. I am 12 years old. This week I found out I have Type 1 diabetes and I'm really scared. I don't know what to do or who to talk to. I tried sugar free ice cream and it kinda tasted like chalk. Are there any good brands that don't taste bad?

Answer:

One of the first things I tell children who are newly diagnosed with diabetes is that there isn't any food that they will not be able to eat. Eating favorite foods requires a knowledge about what is in food and how to count it as part of your meal plan. You can have regular ice cream, you may have to adjust the amount a little, in other words 1/2 cup of regular ice cream may equal 3/4 cup of sugar free ice cream, but the taste may be worth eating a little less. I would suggest you and your parents find a dietitian who can help you with develop a meal plan and who can get you some education materials regarding amounts of foods and how to count them. This is really important if you want to stay healthy.

JM