From West Virginia, USA:

I am a diabetic and am under good control. When I get pregnant my obstetrics doctor always wants me to have lower blood sugars and this usually leads to trouble. I have spoken to my diabetic doctor and he says my blood sugars are fine for pregnancy. Any suggestions? Do you possibly know of a doctor I could see that would listen to the problems I have had?

Probably one of the most significant factors contributing to successful pregnancy outcome is glucose control. Basically, the closer that fasting and postprandial blood sugar values are to normal (I use less than 105 mg/dl fasting, and less than 130 mg/dl at 1 hour after eating as guidelines), the greater the likelihood that the risk of such things as congenital abnormalities will be minimized. However, the downside of tight glucose control is hypoglycemia. Therefore, you need to work out amongst yourself, your diabetologist and your obstetrician what is the best control for you.

If you are near a medical school with a University Hospital, you may want to call the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology and ask if they have a specialist in diabetes and pregnancy.

Posted to Family Planning