From Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA:

I recently read an alarming report about the dangers of aspartame use. Its use is so widespread and so many diabetics rely on it that I am concerned about the legitimacy of this report.

Since its introduction, the safety of aspartame has been questioned. The FDA developed guidelines called Acceptable Daily Intakes (ADI). The ADI indicates a daily intake level that provides a wide margin of safety for specific substances. The ADI for aspartame is 50 mg./Kg of ideal body weight. The aspartame content of products is approximately 150 mg for a 12 oz beverage, 55 mg for one cup of sweetened cereal or 1/2 cup of pudding and 35 mg for one package of Equal®. Hypothetical combinations of foods that might be consumed by children 2-16 years of age project that it would be highly unlikely for most children to consume the ADI of aspartame.

It is always wise to use sweeteners and all other substances in moderation. With carbohydrate counting, it is easy to use regular sweetened foods in combination with artificially sweetened foods for further safety.