From West Virginia, USA:

I was 21 years old when I became pregnant with my daughter. I was diagnosed as a gestational diabetic at 26 weeks. My glucose levels remained in the 170 range throughout the rest of my pregnancy. I did not require insulin injections. I was placed on a strict diet.

My pre-pregnancy weight was 120 pounds. My total weight gain during pregnancy was 35 pounds. My daughter weighed 6 pounds eight ounces at birth.

What are the chances that I will have gestational diabetes with my next pregnancy? What are the chances that I will later develop diabetes? How often should I be tested for diabetes?

Your chances of developing gestational diabetes again are difficult to predict, but could be as high as 60%. The chances of developing diabetes in the future could be as high as 50%, but this may be reduced with proper diet and exercise. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists recommends yearly screening if you have risk factors for developing diabetes (ACOG Technical Bulletin # 200, December, 1994).

Posted to Gestational Diabetes