From Marysville, Washington, USA:

I saw a notice that Governor Gary Locke of Washington had signed into law that diabetes supplies were to be covered under medical insurance. My grandson is 6 years old and has had Type 1 diabetes for 5 years. They have Washington Basic Health Insurance and are finding that Humalog, Glucagon, and strips are not covered. They are also saying that test strips are not covered as they are not a durable supply. In other words, they are used once and thrown away. Any help in finding out if these supplies are definitely covered by any new law would be helpful. My daughter has a family of 5 and is low income so paying out of pocket for diabetes supplies is out of the question.

This year's national president of AADE, Jan Norman, is from Washington state, and she was on the forefront of this legislation. Contact her and see if she can help:

Jan Norman, RD, CDE
Manager, Diabetes Control Program
Washington State Dept. of Health
P.O. Box 47836
Olympia, WA 98504-7836
Phone 360-664-9086
email: JEN0303@HUB.DOH.WA.GOV

Additional Comments from Stephanie Schwartz, diabetes nurse specialist:

You'll need to check to see what regulations go along with the law. I would suggest contacting your local chapter of the American Diabetes Association. I'm sure they'll know (or can find) the appropriate regulations. In many states, the mandate includes coverage for all diabetes supplies prescribed by a physician. Be sure to have your physician write a letter of medical necessity and see if that helps.

Additional Comment added 14 Mar 1998
Posted to Social Issues: Insurance/Costs