From Fayetteville, Arkansas, USA:

I am a 27 year old with Type 1 diabetes. I was diagnosed when I was 16, and for 8 years afterwards I was on my parents' insurance because I stayed in school. Now I am married and my wife and I are having trouble buying insurance because of my condition. I've been buying insulin, syringes, and glucose test supplies out of my own pocket, which is very expensive. Does anyone offer insurance to people like me? Is there anything else I can do to help defer costs?

This is one of my pet peeves. I wish I had the answer.

It seems like a no win situation which we have always addressed with freebies for those in need from the pharmaceutical companies. Certain medical practices in town with a moral compass also donate supplies as often as possible.

[Editor's comment: Many states have programs that provide insurance coverage for people with diabetes. Be sure to check with your state government. JSH]

Posted to Social Issues: Insurance/Costs