From Illinois, USA:

My 7 year old daughter went for a checkup thinking she may have a urinary infection and they found sugar in her urine with white blood cells. I am a diabetic, onset at the age of 23; I am now 33. Could she be becoming a diabetic or could there be another reason for the sugar in her urine?

Sugar in the urine has to be further evaluated with a blood sugar. If elevated, your child most likely is in the early stages of developing diabetes. Very rarely, blood sugar can be transiently elevated (24-48 hours) with a virus or infection and not go on to diabetes. There is also a condition called renal glycosuria where sugar is spilled into the urine even when the blood sugar is normal. Given your history of diabetes, this needs to be evaluated further. See previous questions about making the diagnosis of diabetes.