From America OnLine:

I'm 37, 27 weeks pregnant, and have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes. There is no history of diabetes in my family, but I am overweight. The 2000 calorie a day diet I've been placed on seem high in carbos with 2-3 servings per meal plus snacks. If carbos and sugars are what causes my blood sugar to be high in the test I take 1 hour after each meal, why wouldn't a higher protein, lower carbo diet make more sense? At the rate of carbos the nurse/dietitian has me on, I will consistently have high glucose levels and will need to be placed on insulin, not something I want to do.

The usual diabetic diet in pregnancy is lower in fat and higher in complex carbohydrates and protein. Your dietitian should instruct you in the exact percentages. Generally the complex carbohydrates result in a lower postprandial blood sugar rise. However, this will vary depending on food preparation, fiber content and type of carbohydrate. So continue on the diet and your obstetrician will be checking fasting and 1 hour postprandial blood sugar values to monitor the diet's effectiveness.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes and Meal Planning, Food and Diet